Benjamin H. Carney
Gordon, Wolf & Carney, Chtd.
Phone: (410) 825-2300
Benjamin Carney represents real people against big businesses. He has successfully represented many thousands of individuals against large companies in class action cases alleging violations of federal and state laws, recovering tens of millions of dollars in relief. Mr. Carney has taken class actions through trial and appeal, and courts have certified him as class counsel in more than twenty cases.
Mr. Carney has been standing up in court for the rights of individuals for more than a decade. He successfully litigated consumer protection claims through trial and appeal while still in law school, as a student attorney, and won the Ward & Kershaw Clinical Law Advocacy Prize in 2003.
He was one of the first attorneys in Maryland to challenge “foreclosure rescue scams,” and obtained significant relief for a number of Marylanders harmed by foreclosure scammers even before the Maryland Legislature passed a law specifically addressing the practice. Less than two years out of law school, he initiated a series of cases successfully challenging faulty vehicle repossession notices to Maryland consumers. Those cases alone have so far resulted in more than $70 million in relief to persons whose vehicles were repossessed.
He is a Maryland native, and a graduate of Suitland High School in Prince George’s County. He received his B.A. from the Johns Hopkins University in 1999. Before law school, he worked writing and assisting production for PBS’ NewsHour with Jim Lehrer. He obtained his J.D. from the University of Maryland School of Law in 2004.
Mr. Carney is a member of the American Association for Justice, the Maryland Association for Justice, the National Association of Consumer Advocates, the Maryland Bar Association, and the American Bar Association. He has been named a Fellow of the Maryland Bar Foundation, and is recognized as one of Maryland’s “Top 40 Under 40” by the National Trial Lawyers. He is a past Vice President of the Board of Directors of the Public Justice Center, Inc.
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- American Association for Justice
- Maryland Association for Justice
- National Association of Consumer Advocates
- Maryland Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Peer Rating
- Maryland Daily Record VIP List (2017)
- Maryland Daily Record Leadership in Law (2019)
- National Trial Lawyers: Top 40 under 40 (2015-2018)
- National Trial Lawyers: Top 100 (2018-2019)
- Maryland SuperLawyers Rising Star (2011-2017)
- Maryland SuperLawyers (2019-2020)
- Ward, Kershaw & Minton Clinical Advocacy Prize (2003)