Richard S. Gordon
Gordon, Wolf & Carney, Chtd.
Phone: (410) 825-2300
Richard Gordon has more than 30 years experience as a litigation and trial lawyer representing consumers, the poor and the underrepresented. Since the beginning of his legal career in 1989, Mr. Gordon has taken on the causes of underdogs, against the government and corporations throughout the United States. Mr. Gordon is not afraid to challenge the existing power structure if it will correct an injustice.
Over the past 30 years, Mr. Gordon has served as Lead Counsel in scores of complex and class action cases on behalf of consumers, minorities, disabled children, migrant workers and businesses. He has obtained multi-million dollar verdicts on behalf of his clients and, in all, has recovered and returned hundreds of millions of dollars to those in society who have been wronged, harmed or taken advantage of. The cable industry, banks, title companies, insurance companies, car dealers, law firms, finance companies and some of the largest mortgage lenders in the country, are among the companies whose wrongful and illegal actions have been the target of Mr. Gordon’s litigation.
Mr. Gordon and Gordon, Wolf & Carney Chtd. are known and recognized nationally for their innovative and relentless approach to complex litigation that relies upon rigorous analysis, sound judgment and litigation skills. Because of its success, Mr. Gordon’s law firm has received numerous national and local awards including the 2010 National Consumer Attorneys of the Year presented by the National Association of Consumer Advocates. Gordon, Wolf & Carney Chtd. is listed in U.S.News and World Reports listing of Best Law Firms in America (National and Metropolitan rankings) in the categories Mass Torts/Class Actions – Plaintiffs and Commerical Litigation. Mr. Gordon is also individually recognized in Best Lawyers in America and Maryland Super Lawyers for his achievements in the class action arena and three times has been chosen by Best Lawyers in America as the “Lawyer of the Year” (2016, 2018 and 2020). He was elected as a Fellow in the American Bar Foundation and the Litigation Counsel of America. He maintains an AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review RatedSM by Martindale-Hubbell®, the highest possible rating. In 2017, Mr. Gordon was one of the Daily Record’s “Leadership in Law” Honorees. In 2019, Mr. Gordon was honored with the Simon K. Walton Civil Justice Award by the Maryland Association for Justice.
- Maryland, 1989
- University of Maryland School of Law, J.D., 1989. Associate Editor of the Maryland Law Review.
- The Johns Hopkins University, B.A., 1985
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 3rd, 4th, 6th, 9th and 11th Circuits
- U.S. District Court, District of Maryland, Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Peer Rating
- “Best Lawyers in America” 2011-2020
- “Best Lawyers in America” Lawyer of the Year – 2016, 2018 and 2020
- Maryland Super Lawyer (2013-2020)
- National Trial Lawyers Top 100 (2014-2020)
- Maryland Daily Record “Leadership in Law” (2017)
- Maryland Association for Justice Simon K. Walton Civil Justice Award (2019)